Monday, October 11, 2010

All Day Colic?

I went to the doctor this morning for Colby because he's has a cold for over a week now and yesterday i saw signs that there might be an ear infection. As bad as it sounds, i was hoping there was something wrong with him so we could get some antibiotics and be on our way and in about a week or so I would have a baby that slept again. Turns out there is NOTHING wrong with him, just a little cold. Doc says he might be a little colic. Excuse me, a LITTLE colic? Every time he's tired he cries and cries and doesn't want to go to sleep. and this is ALL day for EVERY nap. I thought colic was more of an evening thing that lasted for a few hours, but all day? only when he's tired? Basically, i think colic stands for - "sorry you're baby is a pain in the butt, nothing i can do so good luck" Now don't get me wrong, i absolutely love Colby to death and just one little smile from him makes my day, but that mood changes just as fast as his does when he goes from smiling to screaming in a second. I'm stressing all day wondering if he's going to go down easy for his naps, or if i'm gonna end up rocking him to sleep for an hour. I've tried rocking him and putting him in his crib asleep - and he wakes up 5 minutes later crying, i've tried putting him in his crib when he's almost passed out - and he wakes up crying, i've tried just letting him cry it out - and he cries for over an hour and a half and starts spitting up, i've tried just rocking him and holding him (what kind of a person wants to hold their baby for hours and hours and get nothing done?) well he finally sleep after an hour or so of crying, and then wakes up after only a half hour nap, if i get lucky enough that he takes his pacifier - i have to sit there and hold it in his mouth. I'm all out of ideas, i'm going crazy! the only upside to this is that if it is colic...that should dwindle in the 3rd month right? Good thing he's cute right? :)

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya on the issue of colic. For about the first 3-4 months (I'm not certain on the length of time, because I try to block those months out of my memory) Londyn was colicky. It was beyond difficult as her mom and I nearly tore my hair out.

    Have you tried gas drops? They aren't harmful at all, but for some babies it really works! You can give it to your baby as often as with every feeding. They did wonders for Londyn and wonders for my sanity.

    Also, where does Colby sleep? I know that when Londyn was super colicky and in a lot of pain, she slept best in her car seat. So she slept in her car seat for naps and at bedtime. She seemed to be more comfortable in the elevated position. She obviously grew out of sleeping in her car seat after about a month, as her colic settled down.

    I know I'm not an expert, but others personal advice always helped me try different options when I felt like I was at the end of my rope!

    I love you and feel free to call for a chat any time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucas has had similar issues - I just put him in my front pack baby carrier (he likes to be upright, as well). He loves to sleep in it, and then I can get things done around the house, or take a walk around the block, etc.
    Just remember, you really DON'T have anything more important than holding and loving on this sweet gift from Heavenly Father. Holding and rocking him are those memories that you will treasure once he grows up, and he doesn't want to cuddle with mama :)
    Try Dr. Sears' "The Fussy Baby Book." One thing I LOVE about Dr. Sears is that he calls the colicky baby, the "hurting baby." Babies don't just cry for no reason, they cry because something is truly bothering them - whether it's gas, they're afraid of being alone, or just need to be held.
    That's my two cents... I hope you find something that works!

    ReplyDelete