Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Parker

Since Parker has been born I have taken him to the doctors 3 times.  They want to make sure he is growing because he was 4 weeks early so I go every week.  I could have sworn he was gaining weight, which he did, just not enough.  he is now somewhere in the upper 6 lbs (i can't remember the exact weight).  Apparently that's not good enough.  the first 3 months of life newborns are supposed to gain about an ounce a day, well Parker has not gained 25 ounces, he's gained just over a pound.  So i got the news today that nursing is not enough and I need to supplement.  At first i didn't think this would be an issue, if he fell asleep on me I would just give him the bottle and he would eat just fine.  That's exactly how the first feeding went.  Then came the second feeding.  After feeding him for about 45 minutes he started to spit up BIG time. More than usual.  I'd say this was throwing up, and not only is his spitting up every 2 minutes, he's super grumpy (definitely in pain, which i believe all of this is because of the formula). So what now? This kid is obviously full and in pain, he's spitting up everywhere, and i'm supposed to shove a bottle in his mouth and expect him to take formula now?  I just can't do that. Sorry doctors, but this kid isn't getting formula for every meal. 

Not only are they concerned about his weight, but he's still a little jaundice.  We went to the park today and I let him suntan.  Hopefully doing that a few times will help this kid out.

He's also getting a rash on his stomach. Not sure what's causing that.

He still has his breathing/ choking issues at night.  I asked the doctors about acid reflux and they said I should do a whole bunch of things i'm already doing and watch him. Well, thanks, i'll do that.

Hopefully by next weeks appointment he would have gained weight, I don't know about this supplementing thing.  After nursing for 45 minutes to an hour the last thing i want to do is give him a bottle and use up more time...I have a toddler that needs attention too.

As for me, sleep is a thing of the past.  Andrew and I seem to have a little system down at the moment, I feed Parker around 9-930 and then i try to go to bed soon after, leaving Parker with Andrew while he studies.  Parker will then wake up around 1-2 for more grub, So i get 2-3 hours of sleep at that point, and then the rest of the night I might get 30 minutes on and off until I'm up at 7 to feed him for the morning. It's rough, I hope it gets better, but for the time being its working.
Wish us luck!

2 comments:

  1. It's a wonder we ever survive having kids!!?!?

    I'm no expert or doctor, but I think you have to trust your instincts. If he's gaining weight, even if it is a small amount, then he's probably doing ok.

    I have a friend who gives her very small baby acid-reflux meds (I'm sure they were perscribed) and I never felt comfortable with that with Sienna, she was really reflux-y (is that even a word?) I just had to really watch what I ate, I would keep track and notice when I ate certain things, she would be more fussy/uncomfortable, it was a total pain in the butt!

    Good luck and hang in there:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are tough, you are trying, and things will work!

    ReplyDelete